Monday, November 25, 2013

" WOW I wish I had all that extra time"

 It often starts out so innocently and simple "look what I finally finished"  and then we hear it. The sentence that sends us crafters (me) into a defensive rage. Followed by "can you please . . ."   The second I share any craft idea or a finished project with someone they wish, out loud, that they too had all this time in their life to make things and often ask if I could please sew something for them, crochet something for them or throw something for them . . . If you are reading this and are not a crafter I want to inform you now that this behaviour is RUDE! Rude rude rude!  the appropriate response is "wow your are so talented" or "lovely" or " how is it even possible with everything else that you do" and never ask that person to do your mending! if none of those suit your fancy a simple "nice" is better than implying we crafters aren't busy and thinking we have "all this time" to sew the armpit hole in your shirt!  Or patch up your sons knee hole . . .  We DO NOT have "all this extra time" on our hands. I for one am a busy mom of three, I have gymnastics and scouts, computer club and laundry and vacuuming and  meals and dusting but I make the time to also do the things I enjoy. In the evening I don't flop on the sofa for Relaxing TV time, I craft . . . I do with out sleep or catch 5 minutes while waiting for the kids to get to the table after I called them for dinner. . . . I never sit still or empty handed. I am creating ever second I get. I have friends who are fellow crafters and they too DO NOT have "extra time".   I know my rant may sound silly but honestly I have stopped telling people I can sew or I can do pottery. Im not normally this grumpy about it but recently I told someone (I wont say who) that I could sew and they showed up at my house with a shopping bag of their mending for me to do! No joke or exaggeration! Another family member has something for me every other week and various other people in my life often ask me to mend their things. Like I said before I do not have a lot of time. So when I'm doing other peoples mending or their orders for which I won't get paid I'am NOT crafting or creating I am very grumpily regretting I ever told that person I can sew and wishing I was doing something I enjoyed. Am I alone in this? Do I just have too many rude people in my life?? How do I say NO?!?

2 comments:

Spinner said...

Don't kill me! But I kind of love that this post is about NOT having time and your last post is called "nothing else to do". I"m just teasing. And sleep deprived as I stayed up til two last night working on a quilt I am making with Nick's grade one class. Best experience ever. Six year olds think we're awesome :) I totally agree with your entire rant and think that you should take your "friend's" mending, dye it all a really bright colour, or spill some bleach on it, cut a few more holes in it, and send it back to them.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha i love that idea!! Not a friend tho, much worse, its family!!! Ugh!
I think you are on to something, i should get sick again so i get some time lol wish i was better at faking illness