Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Balls to cake balls

We decided to make cake balls yesterday; in a little more than a week my 3 year old will be 4 years old and she has put in a special request for pink cake balls. I have made them before and truthfully, am utterly baffled where I found the patience to make them at the time cause they are tedious!!
The cake supply store only had purple Satin Ice vanilla fondant, I've tried other brands of fondant and yuckario! So I got the blueish looking purple Satin Ice vanilla fondant and after getting the coulour okayed from my birthday to be girl we got to work. . . Together we made the cake and icing let it cool then in my mixer we mixed the two. After the two were blended together it didn't look the best but wow it was delicious!! I sent the kids to play with their friends so I could make the balls. In about 20 or so minutes I produced four very ugly looking blueish-purple cake filled blobs and then logically thought "gawd!! is this something I really want to be doing, now, with all the kids I have in my house" (my own and their friends, 6 total which is the actual number but that count included this one very spirited little girl who is very creative, very loud, very energetic much older and can reach the stuff I've hidden for a reason but doesn't think about why it was hidden she is without any exaggeration the equivalent parental effort to my three children combined so by my count 9 children) the mess I would have made continuing to try to make the balls was one thing but I'm certain there would have been a mess of the distasterouse sort, you know the kind unattended children are capable of making of a house, just so I can make more of these ugly little cake filled blobs? No way! This whole cake ball making idea was with out a doubt something that needed rethinking. I had to come up with an alternative treat to try to make my girl for her birthday. It had to be something that would taste exactly the same that could be popped in the mouth real easy in a bite or two but was much easier and quicker for me to make.

Here is what I came up with;
I rolled out a large rectangle of fondant, I spread a layer of the cake/butter cream icing mixture on top of the fondant. Then, I rolled it all up like a log and popped the log in the freezer over night. Today I took the logs out and slice them into one inch thick pieces but that was too think half inch was a much better size for my little ones. They're perfect . . . Even better it took me 20 minutes or so to do up. Tho, if you try to make them your self they get soft a mushy if they aren't served fresh from the refrigerator. We like ours frozen. :)

No comments: