Friday, March 1, 2013

Here I am.

I did not think it had been a year since I wrote my last post hahaha well here I am . . . again . . . and I have stuff and time to share!

I'll start with today

I made aprons for my girls, I didn't think it through, I just kind of started with a notion and some fabric that I recycled from an old pappasan chair cover. I didn't follow the traditional order of sewing, honestlty I just layed out the fabric and started cutting. First I cut my fabric into two rectangles, I knew I'd be making two (one for each of my girls). On one end of the shorter sides of the rectangle I cut the corners off, the other end I rounded the corners and had planned on just hemming the whole things, then I cut a bunch of 1.5 inche strips from some pretty pink fabric that I thought would make some great ties and started pinning. While digging through my fabric stash looking for the pink I found a pocket that used to belong to a pair of my husbands jeans; right there and then I decided theses aprons needed a pocket, I used the old jeans pocket as a pattern, pink of course. My mind started to flood with possibilities . . . ruffles . . . Heart . . . Maybe some ribbon. . . My head was spinning! so I had to take a step back and got out my pencil and markers and drew what came to me. I started to sew again and tried the heart pocket you see in the photo but it looked to girly girl with the ruffle and once i cut my rounded corners i was already committed to the ruffles. . . I love green & blue or pink & green so the obvious choice was green for the stitching. I used to try to do perfect stitching but over time I realized how rusticly adorable the haphazard lines look (and were much faster in getting my project done)








While sewing today I broke my Phaff :( not a big break I guess more of an injury which I'm sure for a price can be fixed . . . . The lil itty bitty teeny tiny hook that threads my needle is no longer there in the photo it should be where the tiny pink dot is . . . Ok so I guess it is comparable to a pin prick lol it was still pretty upsetting! I had to do all my threading the old fashioned way! my Phaff is no longer perfect :(






The aprons were a big hit! both girls wore them all evening and served me pretend burgers and soup from their pretend kitchen . . . As you can see from the finished product there's a ribbon flower on it which wasn't well receiver so was instantly removed. Both girls tried to sleep in them tonight but I just wasn't comfortable with the cords around their necks so we stuffed them in their pillow case so they'd stay safe but close enough to be considered sleeping with.


Tomorrow I might try to make a potters apron for both my son and I as he has taken an interest in potting. I'm both excited and proud and a little worried I'll lose my wheel to him lol


I feel like I have to mention this is the first time I'm posting from my iPad, I'm not at all competent with this thing and there's a pain in the butt auto correct . . . Oh and I can't figure out how to add the photos where I want them or to size them and lol it'll be a surprise where they turn up lol

Cheers.

No comments: