Tuesday, March 12, 2013

March Break

Since discovering computers my son hasn't been interested in crafts with me. When school is on I limit his computer time to and hour a day. Which if you have kids you know is actually a lot of time when you factor in school, homework, meals, tidy up, showers or baths and bed time. His favourite game is Minecraft, he purchased the game with his birthday money last summer. It's very cute. He has a friend over or Facetimes a friend on his iPod and the two "play" together digitally. It being march break I have allowed him the whole day, it is after all his break and he is still playing with a friend and since the weather isn't good I don't mind him spending so much time on the computer other than I miss him and his artistic contributions . . . I'm guessing this is the beginning of my son growing up and my having to learn to let him go a little.


I started the week with restoring a children's rocker my FIL fond in the garbage. It needed a good cleaning, a sanding another cleaning with a damp rag, glued and clamped then oiled. It's a lovely little rocker. There was some discussion on painting it but I like the natural wood.



While restoring the chair in between drying and oiling the girls and I embarked on a painting fiasco. A simple paint by numbers . . . with missing numbers which disturbed my 6 year old. She had some very strong opinions on this and suggested we contact the makers of this product because "they should know better than to sell a children's product with the numbers all wrong". Not only were the numbers messed up the paint was dry and crumbly, I tried to water it down but it turned into a gunky mess which encrusted itself to my table and craft cups. So we used crayola paint and it worked out okay.






Once done we added them to the art our new (as of 2013) art wall.



1 comment:

Spinner said...

LOL. She is so clearly YOUR kid :)
Love the little chair. And the art wall. We did our whole dining room with the kids art and it means the world to them!
Happy Day 5 :)